Information and Requirements
ATHLETIC DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR AWARD
District 1, District 2, District 3, District 4, and MS/JR High
- Nominations can be made for districts other than your own district.
- There will be one high school recipient for each of the 4 Congressional Districts and one at-large Middle School AD of the Year.
- To qualify, the nominee must be a member of KIAAA.
Click HERE to see school assignments to congessional assignments.
KIAAA AWARD OF THE YEAR
- The Kansas Athletic Director of the Year will be selected from the District and Middle School Athletic Director recipients.
ART NEWCOMER “PROMISING NEW AD” AWARD
- Must be nominated by another AD
- Must be in 2nd or 3rd year as an AD
- Demonstrates leadership qualities, outstanding work ethic, good communication skills
- If you know of an outstanding sportswriter or sportscaster in your area, perhaps he/she deserves some recognition for doing a great job.
- For the sportswriter, you must include two examples of this person’s writing to show the quality of his/her work.
- For the sportscaster, you must include a tape of at least two minutes to show the quality of his/her work.
ELMER “CARP” CARPENTER AWARD
This award was established in 1980 and named in honor of a gentleman many of us know – Elmer Carpenter. “Carp” was a living force. He was one of the organizers of KIAAA (formerly KHSADA) and served as its first president. “CARP” was the first athletic director at Wichita South High School. He said when he was given the job the he had little idea as to what an athletic director did. In his efforts to learn what to do, Elmer became involved in the development of the first national athletic directors’ group – the National Council of Secondary School Athletic Directors. It is one of a number of councils of the American Alliance of Health, P.E., Recreation, and Dance. It is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Criteria for the Elmer “Carp” Carpenter Award:
- Must have been a leader in the area of athletics, education, or both
- Not necessarily a member of the Athletic Directors’ Association
- A professional in all respects
- A tireless worker
- A community leader
- Need not be awarded each year and may be more than one in a year
- Include information about contributions and involvement of the nominee and two letters of support from people who know the person.
Scholarship nominations are submitted to Mickey Masterson, Blue Valley North
Finalist for awards are selected by the Past Presidents committee